Ed Boswell was an Indianapolis native who, on receiving a Rector
Scholarship, enrolled at DePauw in 1927. A six letter man, he
played the guard position on the basketball team and the number two
spot on the golf team. He was a member of Phi Gamma Delta and
active in ROTC, serving as captain of the Corps and a member of
Scabbard and Blade. He served on the Mirage yearbook, the Student
Council, and was honored by selection to Blue Key. He graduated
from DePauw in 1931 with majors in history and political science.
Boswell has been a member of DePauw's Board of Trustees since 1956
and, soon thereafter, became chairman of the Trustee Committee on
Athletics. He was instrumental in establishing the Old Gold
Scholarship, which rewards outstanding and deserving
scholar-athletes. For many years Ed Boswell was president of
McMahan-O'Connor Construction Company, one of the largest highway
builders in the Midwest. Because of his love for athletics and
DePauw, his company literally changed the landscape of the campus.
Over a 10-year period, he marshalled the resources of his company
in developing the current tennis facilities, two intramural fields,
a varsity practice field and the Boswell Soccer Field. He chaired
the drive for the construction of Lilly Physical Education and
Recreation Center, personally providing significant gifts for the
project. He is the 1966 recipient of the Old Gold Goblet and past
president of the Rector Scholar Alumni Association.