The Lilly Center is the University's primary indoor fitness and recreation facility, and serves as the competition home for basketball, swimming and diving, and volleyball.
DePauw's Athletics Master Plan includes significant enhancements to the Lilly Center. Phase One of these improvements focus primarily on a 36,000 square-foot expansion, along with a renovation of existing space.
Welch Fitness Center
Opened in the fall of 2014, the new 16,000 square-foot, two-story fitness center made possible by a $5 million gift from M. Scott and Kimberlee A. Welch provides the primary training facility for each of DePauw's varsity teams and for the campus community. The new facility more than triples the size of the previous fitness center. With the increased footprint, the facility provides a venue fully capable of accommodating DePauw’s integrated training model—the University’s preferred approach—in which student-athletes train alongside non-athlete students.
Three multipurpose rooms—primarily to support fitness classes, spin classes, and dance—were constructed in space vacated by the previous fitness center. These new spaces tripled the space previously available for these activities, and help the University meet a growing student, faculty and staff demand for organized fitness classes.
New roof for Erdmann Natatorium
To accommodate future enhancements to the Lilly Center, the roof of the pool has been raised and replaced. The new, two-story, roof will make it possible for the existing natatorium to be converted to a practice gymnasium upon the future construction of a new 50-meter pool in Phase Three.
Kinesiology office and laboratories
A renovation of space currently occupied by underutilized racquetball courts more than doubled the office and laboratory space previously available for the Department of Kinesiology, an important enhancement given the discipline’s heavy research focus.
Renovation of locker rooms
New recreational locker rooms were be constructed within space vacated by the Kinesiology Department.
Upon completion, the Lilly Center was one of the finest and most complete recreation and sports facilities among all small colleges and universities in the United States. The center included a 25-yard by 25-meter pool with10 lanes, six racquetball courts, complete locker room facilities, class and conference rooms.
An addition to the Center in 1990 was a hardwood floor in the fieldhouse and auxiliary gymnasium. Truly a multipurpose facility, the Center often is the site of several intercollegiate activities on a single day. In 1997, the weight room underwent an extensive renovation and addition and now is one of the finest fitness centers at any small college in the nation.
The main section of the Center is the Raymond "Gaumey" Neal Fieldhouse, named in honor of the coach of DePauw’s undefeated, untied and unscored upon 1933 football team. The fieldhouse includes a one-tenth mile track and other indoor track facilities, a 2,400-seat basketball and volleyball arena and three multipurpose courts which can accommodate volleyball,tennis, badminton, soccer and many other sports.
Nearly $3 million of the funds for the Lilly Center were raised by the members of the 1933 football team, exclusively through donations made by the surviving members. The team, whose 7-0 record and 136-0 point total over their opponents put them in the elite in the history of college football,chose to honor their coach, the architect of many DePauw football powers in the 1930s and 1940s.
Facilities located within the Lilly Center include: